Re: Re: ftp.debian.org has incomplete mirror

On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 01:02:05AM +0200, Franklin PIAT wrote:
> Josip Rodin wrote :
> > On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 10:09:50PM +0200, Franklin PIAT wrote:
> > > I have noticed that ???ftp.debian.org actually points to an incomplete
> > > mirror (no ppc, sparc...), which is problematic, since its often used in
> > > examples or default URLs :
> >
> > Can you tell us where it is used in examples or default URLs, so that
> > we can fix those places?
>
> Humm, probably everywhere ;-( googling for
> * ftp.debian.org => 980 000 hits.

We were talking about places in the workflow/doc of Debian installation
I guess ..

> * ftp.debian.org site:www.debian.org => 4000 hits
>    including some like : http://www.debian.org/News/2008/20080413

Maybe we should have dedicated site like ftp-master to make available
the changelogs and info linked from such news.

> * wiki.d.o has a few [50] too.
>
> Currently, I have the problem in a package I'm preparing, which purpose
> is to fetch DI netboot images. I wish I could provide a reasonable
> default, which would be *guaranteed* to have all netboot images (one
> don't really need to use a local mirror, since it's just a few
> megabytes).
>
> Alternatively, what would be hte best machine parse'able list of
> mirrors ?

http://cvs.debian.org/*checkout*/webwml/english/mirror/Mirrors.masterlist?root=webwml

You should be able to use the sites with a Archive-http: (not
X-Archive-http), and select only the ones in ftp.XX.debian.org

> Any other suggestion ?

Use the source of choose-mirror (the udeb used in the debian
installer).