Re: Persistent connections and pipelining

Cameron Dale un jour écrivit:
Hi,

I was looking at the wireshark output for an apt-get download
recently, and I noticed that the mirror was closing the connection
after every file received. I did a test of the mirrors and found that
40 of about 360 mirrors behave like this, including several of the
primary country mirrors (most notably ftp.fr.d.o). These mirrors,
though they are HTTP/1.1, send a "Connection: close" header with every
request.

It probably means that they have set the KeepAlive setting to Off, or that their http server don't support It at all.

I know this behavior is within the HTTP/1.1 spec, but I'm curious why
a mirror admin would want to disable this feature.

The reason I can see that a mirror admin would want to do that, is if his/her mirror is overloaded with too many connections and want the server to still be able to answer new requests.

  That said, It is probably not the best way to achieve this.

A better approache is to use a KeepAliveTimeout value of a few seconds and put a lower MaxKeepAliveRequests value.

The advantages
described in the HTTP spec seem very convincing. Are there any admins
who can shed some light on this?

If there is other reasons, I would also be curious, because the keepalive setting usualy help to keep a lower load on the server and improve network performances since you avoid redoing the TCP handshaking for each connections.

Simon Valiquette
http://gulus.USherbrooke.ca