Re: reminder: Archive-architecture lines in Mirrors.masterlist

Josip Rodin wrote:

> > > Er, but is there ever a configuration of Mirrors.masterlist usable for such
> > > architectures?
> >
> > If you dig back in the cvs, you'll find the configuration we used to
> > express amd64's separate mirror archive in Mirrors.masterlist.
> > It was was added in revision 1.561 and removed in revision 1.632.
>
> Okay, that was an explicit addition of amd64 into Archive-architecture
> lines. In the future cases where a new architecture arrives, you can do
> the same, I guess.

I'm afraid that you're continuing to miss my point. I suppose I will
just have to work around any breakage that people who don't understand
what I'm saying introduce, since I seem to be failing abysmally at
communicating it.

One more try:

* New architectures are occasionally added to debian.
* Before these architectures become official, they tend to exist in an
  unofficial repository somewhere. Some current examples: armel at
  debian-arm.wantstofly.org, kfreebsd-gnu and knetbsd-gnu at
  ftp.gnuab.org.
* It's useful to be able to install a new architecture before it's added
  to debian.
* The debian installer presents a list of mirrors during the install.
* This list is derived from information in Mirrors.masterlist.
* It's useful to not have lots of mirrors that do not contain your
  architecture in that list.
* At some point in the evolution of a new architecture, it becomes
  sufficiently official that it makes sense to add it to
  Mirrors.masterlist. For example this happened to amd64 before the
  release of sarge.
* If "Architecture: ALL" or no Architecture field is in
  Mirrors.masterlist, d-i will assume that all architectures are present
  on that mirror.
* Even if it's installing an architecture that is not in Debian yet.
* The only way to avoid this is to explicitly list the architectures
  that a mirror supports.
* When a new architecture becomes official and is on the standard
  mirrors, this does mean updating Mirrrors.masterlist to include it.
  This seems unavoidable.

--
see shy jo, who hates repeating himself