Automatic mirror detection
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
[Just a wild idea and my first foray into this list. Be gentle.]
How feasible would it be for us to implement an "automagic" mirror
mechanism, perhaps geoip based? Does something like this already exist
and I've been living in a cave for the last few years?
The advantages I see are twofold:
- - Possibly removing one step from the installation process, or having
the "automagic" scheme selected by default during installation.
- - Helping frequent-travelers to always fetch the nearest mirror.
The way I see it happening, off the top of my head:
- - new zone created (perhaps under mirror.d.o), managed by something like
pdns-pipe consulting the mirrors database.
- - new host created (suggestion: automatic.mirror.d.o), which returns
- - 'best mirror' could be a function of geoip proximity/freshness of
mirror, perhaps even round robin of N best matches.
Possible problems I see:
- - incompatibilities with pdiff based apt updates?
- - system is made useless (or less useful) by caching mechanisms, either
client side or along the link?
Leo "costela" Antunes
[insert a witty retort here]
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----