Re: Can I get some help, please?

On Sat, May 19, 2007 at 09:18:22PM -0400, Carl T. Miller wrote:
> I'm trying to write a script to efficiently make a mirror
> of a Debian archive, and I need some help understanding the
> structure of the archives.

[I went back to this after answering the rest]

It looks like you didn't see the existing script. Here it is:
http://www.debian.org/mirror/anonftpsync

> I'm sure there is a document that answers these questions.
> Would you please tell me where I can find the answers?

http://www.debian.org/mirror/

For setting up new mirrors, make sure you notice
http://www.debian.org/mirror/ftpmirror

> Is there a way to tell whether or not the current archive
> or mirror is being updated?

The project/trace directory.

> Is there a way to tell when the current archive or mirror
> was last updated?

The timestamp of the file named as the mirror you are using in the
project/trace directory.

> Is there a standard for using soft links and hard links
> within the filesystem?

Yes. Both are used, I think.

> Is there a way to tell when the available dists change?

There is no single marker, other than an additional file/directory in the
dists/ directory.

> Is there a way to tell when the available archs change?

Ditto. The Contents-*.gz files could be an easy way to scan for changes.

> What is the purpose of each of the directories?

Now this is getting ridiculous... read the Debian FAQ?

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparchives.en.html

Maybe some question is not answered, but please ask non-generic questions
after reading that.

> How are source files distinguished from others?

With filename extensions.

> What all files are required to fully mirror a single distro?
>
> What are the minimal files required for installation only of
> a single distro?

We do not support mirroring a single distro; there's no observable purpose
to it. If you want a single distribution, mirror its CD/DVD images.

http://www.debian.org/mirror/ftpmirror#partial

> What are the minimal files required for installation only of
> a single arch?

Hmm. I don't think we have this documented anywhere properly, because
the netinst CD gets all the debs of the base system, and optionally gets
whatever is in the tasks that the user selects. Those various sets of
packages are fairly intricate...

> Are there a set of files required by the original archive
> and official mirrors (that would let me test to find a
> limited mirror)?

As we only support removal of architectures, you can simply check the fourth
column of http://www.debian.org/mirror/list if you want to find how each
mirror is limited (which architectures are missing).

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.