Re: where to sync from?

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 22:34 +0100, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 02:45:10PM -0400, Ricardo Yanez wrote:
> > Coming back to my previous message, it seems to me that uniting mirror
> > admins is a way to go, and that the Debian mirror and submission pages
> > could help in bringing mirrors together, am I right? Maybe it's not
> > technically possible?
>
> How do you mean?

I mean the following: Most, if not all, mirrors start by being local.
Then at some point the admin(s) decide to submit the information to
Debian, making them sort of public and part of Debian. In reality the
mirror still supplies a local need, because people still choose
ftp.*.debian.org mirrors, as discussed, when installing or otherwise. My
suggestion is to change this and ask for a higher commitment than just
making the mirror public. I suggest a model much like the NTP pool, that
is, you submit your server and agree to become part of ftp.*.debian.org
for your country. Do 'nslookup us.pool.ntp.org' and you'll see what I
mean (cl, br, whatever). This would really help unload the heavily
loaded, and local mirrors really become part of Debian. If I make my
mirror public it's because I'm willing to sacrifice bandwidth in the
first place, right?

Ricardo Yanez