Re: where to sync from?

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 16:24 -0300, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
> Josip Rodin (joy@debian.org) wrote on 21 March 2007 18:07:
>  >ftp.br.d.o had its share of problems in the past, yes, but that was probably
>  >when it was hosted elsewhere. The alias changed hands a few times by now.
>
> Yes. We're fully committed and are putting a considerable effort in
> standing up to the task of being a national mirror, so you can count
> on us to sync from. If ever we have problems we'll announce them here
> so that the others who pull from us are not let down. I wouldn't have
> offered our link if we weren't committed to it.

That's what you like to hear.

> <notice>
> Going from theory to practice, we have a scheduled power outage next
> weekend and the mirror will probably go down for a few hours. We can
> survive an outage of about 10 hours (measured!) but this one may last
> longer. It's for good though: the university is replacing all the
> distribution equipment in the high-voltage cabinets of the building.
> </notice>
>
>  >> I mean, ftp.cl.debian.org is a leaf mirror, low in the hierarchy, and
>  >> should stay there based on it's not-so-hot "stableness". I see
>  >> ftp.br.debian.org is also a leaf mirror, which I interpret as not being so
>  >> high in the hierarchy either. Maybe I'm wrong about my interpretation of
>  >> Leaf, Secondary and Primary mirrors, but these categories must somehow
>  >> reflect how committed the sponsor and admins are to the mirror, right?
>  >
>  >In this particular case, we have a bit of an inconsistency. By assigning the
>  >ftp.*.d.o alias, we at Debian want to recognize the quality of a mirror and
>  >relay this information to all the users, too.
>
> I was going to raise this issue shortly. I think we could be
> "promoted" to primary status.

I think this promotion is in order. Does anybody knows who assigns the
primary and secondary tags in the first place? based on what? That would
be interesting to know.

> There are two issues remaining: pushing and CDs. For now we don't
> mirror the CDs, but we expect to have this done in about two weeks
> (via jigdo only, so that the mirror we sync from doesn't get hit).
>
> The second point is push-mirroring. We have everything set up for it
> (account created, public key installed, script in place, etc.). All
> that's left is to ask another mirror to activate the pushing.

I remember asking a long time ago to be pushed, and I never got a reply.
Pushing is special and I would like to see it only in official mirrors.
After all, the initial push is done by the master and a cascade follows
from it, and hence should be propagated to official mirrors only. Is
that the policy?

>  >The mirrors in the western hemisphere are mostly dependent on the Northern
>  >American mirrors, mainly because ftp-master.debian.org is in the US and the
>  >layout of the Internet links in general works that way. It would be logical
>  >for us Debianites to work with mirror admins in both North and South America
>  >in order to provide the best service;
>
> If we become primary we should sync from ftp-master, no? Now we sync
> from ftp.de.debian.org. This is due to the old non-US problem.
> Besides, we have a good link with Europe as well as the US; syncing
> from them hasn't been a problem.

I don't see a reason why you couldn't sync from ftp.de.debian.org. Isn't
ftp.de.debian.org pushed by the master, just as ftp.us.debian.org is?
The only thing you would need is to have ftp.de.debian.org push you,
right?

The DMC seems to imply ftp.de.debian.org syncs with ftp.hr.debian.org,
which in turn is pushed by the master?

Actually a lot of European official mirrors sync with ftp.hr.debian.org.
Are each of them pushed by ftp.hr.debian.org?

How does the pushing really work?

> Who and how should we ask to do push mirroring?
>
> Even without pushing we sync twice a day, in a convenient time
> determined from the trace file of de.debian.org, so we're fully
> up to date. We also check the logs to see if it all goes well.
>
> [long saga about US debian mirrors removed].
>
>  >I guess that now that I spent time writing this mail, I could have another
>  >go at trying to find out which debian-admin member now tends after these
>  >things, and see if anything can be changed.
>
> I wish you good luck Josip. All we can do to help is to be a good
> mirror to help spread the load. We host other mirrors as well and we
> see that people from Europe and even China download from us.
>
> [horror story about the server in Chile removed]
>
>  >I trust you plan to get it into a proper server room in the future :)
>  >Many of us have experienced similar problems in the past; I sympathise :/
>
> Ditto. :-)
>
> Ricardo Yanez (ricardo.yanez@calel.org) wrote on 21 March 2007 14:12:
>  >I must thank you for such upfront and honest description of things.
>
> Me too!
>
>  >Bottom line, there is a lot of willing bandwidth out there that is
>  >not properly used to balance the load. What if admins of the same
>  >country subscribed to this list joined in effort?
>
> Generally this is a good idea, though in our particular case it's not
> necessary. We have a gigabit link and are very close to the national
> academic backbone. In the debian mirror we can stand a load an order
> of magnitude higher without problem. The rate of ~400 kB/s you get
> from us is not limited by our site.

Ok, I will start moving towards syncing with your mirror. I'll have to
inform people first so that the Computing Department guys won't strangle
the flow amid suspicious changes.

Ricardo Yanez