Re: mipsel out-of-memory building dolfinx 0.4.0

On 2022-06-13 10:52, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
On Mon, Jun 13, 2022 at 10:44 AM Drew Parsons <dparsons@debian.org> wrote:

How would we usually manage "relocation truncated" linking errors?

I've never used it myself. But it appears to be the option "-mxgot":

* https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/MIPS-Options.html

That's a good tip. -mxgot seems to be a kind of MIPS counterpart to the x86 flag -mcmodel=medium, which was suggested at https://stackoverflow.com/a/35111263/12401525 for resolving relocation errors.

Compiling with -mxgot (and deleting/rebuilding fem.cpp.o as Jeffrey suggested) my linking got past the general relocation error that it was giving before. It then gave a relocation error related to specific xt (xtensor) functions, but that's enough of a clue to work with.

xtensor is a header-only library, to successfully build its tests on mipsel we had to compile with -Os -g0. If I do that with dolfinx on mipsel then it finally links the python extension successfully.

Not certain if I need to use both -mxgot and -Os -g0, but I can test the various build permutations now.

Thanks for your help, MIPS experts.

Drew