Re: Do we know the last binutils version it used to work?

On 08.01.2017 14:29, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> Matthias: this bug is stopping a lot of packages from migrating and in doing
> so near the freeze is hurting many teams (and their users!) like the Qt/KDE
> one, so I'm planning to NMU it to the last working version.
>
> Do we know which was the last version to properly work on mips*? Is there any
> drawback in going back to that version?
>
> Of course if you have a better course of action suitable for a fast fix, I'll
> be glad to read it.

Please don't.  I'm fine to apply work arounds for port architectures, but not
for release architectures (I didn't decide on this status).  The binutils update
plan was announced last June [1], and I plan to stick to it.  At least one of
the mips toolchain maintainers (out of the five who committed to in the
architecture qualification process) seems to address RC issues, and according to
the upstream issue, there's work in progress.

Matthias

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2016/06/msg00007.html