Re: O: cobalt-panel-utils -- System utilities for Sun Cobalt's LCD and LEDs

Adrian,

Am Donnerstag, den 22.09.2016, 12:15 +0300 schrieb Adrian Bunk:
> On Sun, Sep 04, 2016 at 12:33:00PM +0200, Tobias Frost wrote:
> >
> > Followup-For: Bug #673959
> > Control: reassign 673959 ftp.debian.org
> > Control: retitle 673959 RM: cobalt-panel-utils -- RoQA, low popcon,
> > dead upstream, unmaintained
> >
> > I think this software is EOL and should be removed.
> > Popcon is 1 and the Homepage does not exist anymore.
>
> Hi Tobias,
>
> did you ever bother to check what this package you successfully
> managed
> to get removed from unstable actually does before claiming that it
> would
> be EOL?

Hey, calm down.

Of course I checked the package throughly before coming to this
decision. I never take RM requests lightly.

> popcon is never a good metric for verifying that there are no users.

Popcon is an important data point, but for of course not the only one.

> Even less for a package like cobalt-panel-tils, that provides
> hardware support for exotic hardware - such a package can never
> achieve high popcon numbers.

Additionally, the package was orphaned 4 years ago, had several bugs
open, some even with patches... No one cared enough to adopt it in all
those years. Popcon was never high, yes, but it has been significantly
higher in the past.

> Support for the older MIPS based Cobalts was already
> removed in Debian 8,
> and support for the newer x86 based Cobalts might lack kernel p arts.
> So you might be lucky that cobalt-panel-utils was actually EOL.

Didn't I write "dead upstream", did I?

> But this is something you should really have verified before asking
> for removal.

In the combination of above reasons, the RM was warranted and in order.
Apparently ftp masters agreed with my reasonsing, otherwise they won't
have executed it.

If you disagree with all this, just open up an ITP bug and reintroduce
the package as maintainer. (As emeritus you know how Debian works). You
might to want become upstream, though, to solve the dead-upstream
thing.