Re: Debian (or anything else) on an Origin 200

Chad Feller wrote:

I got Debian running on an IP27 sibling to that box, an Origin 2000 (2200 actually). I had problems with TFTP at the time (for whatever reason), and ended using a Gentoo MIPS live CD to get it to boot. From there I chrooted, and bootstrapped Debian.

I posted the notes of the install here:

  http://www.cs.unr.edu/~feller/linux/mips/ip27/debian_ip27.txt

Thanks, I'll follow that up in the morning (or whenever I've finished the SPARC E4500 Lenny re-installation I'm currently doing).

I'm prepared to use Gentoo as a tool, but would say that when I tried to install it on SPARC and PPC systems I found it extremely frustrating: it turned out that they'd changed the initrd format but not the kernel that was supposed to read it, had noted that as a bug, but had then fixed it /only/ on x86. And that's why I still use Debian :-)

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk