default-java and openjdk-7 on sparc

On 2013-11-09 14:35, Niels Thykier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (With my Java hat on and my Release hat off)
>
> We are getting close to being able to remove openjdk-6 from sid and
> testing.  However, there is major blocker, which is java-common itself
> (and its default-* binaries).  mips and mipsel are the only two
> architectures still using OpenJDK 6 as default java.
>
> At the current time, OpenJDK 7 have not been successfully ported on
> these architectures and it is my understanding that it is unlikely to
> change in the near future.  This leaves gcj-jdk as the only viable
> option for mips and mipsel.
>
> I intend to implement these changes in java-common in about 14 days,
> unless there are alternative solutions (that does not involve keeping
> openjdk-6 around).
>
> ~Niels

Hi sparc porters,

We are currently debating whether the default java should change from
openjdk-6 to gcj for mips and mipsel.  I now noticed that while sparc
uses openjdk-7 as default java, openjdk-7 no longer builds successfully
on sparc and haven't done so for at least 85 days.

It is my understanding that Matthias Klose (doko) is the only active
maintainer working on OpenJDK-7 and he does not have time to solve this
problem.  While this is not an immediate problem for getting rid of
openjdk-6, it will be a problem that needs to be solved before the
Jessie freeze[0].

If you are interested in fixing the OpenJDK-7 build failure, you may (or
may not) find [1] interesting.

~Niels

[0] Currently available solutions are: use gcj as default java or make
OpenJDK-7 build again.

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2013/11/msg00072.html

(the "odd patch" being a reference to patch attached to #729448)