Re: Replacing openjdk-6 with gcj-jdk as default java for mips{,el}

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 09, 2013 at 02:35:49PM +0100, Niels Thykier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> (With my Java hat on and my Release hat off)
>
> We are getting close to being able to remove openjdk-6 from sid and
> testing.  However, there is major blocker, which is java-common itself
> (and its default-* binaries).  mips and mipsel are the only two
> architectures still using OpenJDK 6 as default java.
>
> At the current time, OpenJDK 7 have not been successfully ported on
> these architectures and it is my understanding that it is unlikely to
> change in the near future.  This leaves gcj-jdk as the only viable
> option for mips and mipsel.

I have finally been able to fix openjdk-7 on mips and mipsel. It was a
problem of ugly casts done without taking care of alignement issues. See
bug #729448 for more details.

With the patch from the bug report applied, I was able to get a fairly
decent testsuite result on both mips and mipsel (see below), comparable
to the other architectures using zero and for which the testsuite is not
disabled.

Would it be therefore possible to do a new upload of openjdk-7 with the
patch from bug #729448 applied, and to switch the default java to it on
mips and mipsel?

Regards,
Aurelien

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73