Re: DSA concerns for jessie architectures (mips*)

* Peter Palfrader (weasel@debian.org) [130624 10:58]:
> On Sat, 22 Jun 2013, Andreas Barth wrote:
>
> > > * mips: existing machines are either not reliable or too slow to keep
> > >   up; we suspect that they may not be easily replaceable.
>
> > Also, if we buy more mipsel machines we could convert the mipsel
> > swarms to mips ones (and so replace broken machines, see below) -
> > mostly depends on how urgent you think this is.
>
> If our existing eight-year old hardware is the only mips machines we can
> reasonably get then that doesn't bode well for mips.  We don't think
> relying on the SWARMs (alone) is an option.

There was an reason for the "also" - I'm about to get new hardware
there as well. Which I would prefer.

> > 3. We have currently two new machines with loongson 3a processors to
> > test. It will take a bit of time to finally get a working kernel on
> > these, but that would also decrease build-times quite much.
>
> When do you expect them to be usable?

Depends on your definition of useable.

I'm currently in the process to get the kernel building and trying to
get the patches into upstream kernel. Besides of that, the hardware is
useable (the usual auto-power-on-patch is required as well, but that's
just a few days for doing it mechanically). However, currently with
only the factory kernel (which doesn't meet my definition of useable,
and I think also not yours). I suspect that I'm just a few pitfalls
away from getting this done, but nothing I could put say "takes this
many days". I'm also just trying since Saturday, so in the very early
stages and in discussion with upstream and vendor.

So, let's perhaps look at the situation again in two months and see
where we are and if it's worth to do something else inbetween or not.

Andi