Re: [GSoC 2013] MIPS N32/N64 ABI port project

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 7:37 PM, Aron Xu <happyaron.xu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Matt Turner <mattst88@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'll copy-and-paste what I said to the other guy who suggested an N32
>> Debian port (on March 1, check the archives for the full thread):
>>
>> Disclaimer: I'm not a Debian developer or even a user.
>>
>> I am, however, a Gentoo/MIPS developer who completed our n32 port.
>> There were some annoying bits, like packages that hardcode 'lib', but
>> overall it's not a difficult task. Other distributions are already
>> n32, so there's not much if any package porting to do.
>>
>> The scope of this project would be entirely within Debian, getting
>> Debian's infrastructure going for n32. I don't personally think that's
>> a SoC project, but I don't know. Maybe a Debian/n32 port involves lots
>> of work I don't know about, but for Gentoo it was mostly recompile a
>> bunch of stuff and fix things that break. IIRC, I was *terribly*
>> unimpressed with the 2009 Port Debian to N32 project. It was just a
>> recompile everything and see what breaks endeavor, which is what other
>> people have done with much more success (see: Gentoo, Parabola).
>>

> I don't quite get the point why do you think others have done "with
> much more success" when this project isn't started anyway.

Read the blog of the guy who tried to do this project in 2009:

http://sandyleo26.wordpress.com/2009/04/05/gsoc-proposal-creating-a-new-mips-n32-abi-port-for-debian/

Gentoo and Parabola have working n32 ports. People use them. That's
much more success than the previous N32 GSoC project (and I suppose
any n32 work since then). Maybe this is actually an argument for doing
an N32 port?

> It's really
> not simply recompiling everything because of the presence of real-life
> Multi-Arch, and actually recompiling everything isn't even a required
> task in the project's description.

My experience porting Gentoo to N32 was bootstrapping my an N32 base
system, finding and fixing bugs, and finally building installation
media. I don't feel like there was enough actual development in what I
did to warrant a GSoC project.

But I'm not a Debian developer or user, so maybe I don't know what is
required for Debian. What would your deliverables be?