Re: [GSoC 2013] MIPS N32/N64 ABI port project

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 10:10 AM, Matt Turner <mattst88@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll copy-and-paste what I said to the other guy who suggested an N32
> Debian port (on March 1, check the archives for the full thread):
>
> Disclaimer: I'm not a Debian developer or even a user.
>
> I am, however, a Gentoo/MIPS developer who completed our n32 port.
> There were some annoying bits, like packages that hardcode 'lib', but
> overall it's not a difficult task. Other distributions are already
> n32, so there's not much if any package porting to do.
>
> The scope of this project would be entirely within Debian, getting
> Debian's infrastructure going for n32. I don't personally think that's
> a SoC project, but I don't know. Maybe a Debian/n32 port involves lots
> of work I don't know about, but for Gentoo it was mostly recompile a
> bunch of stuff and fix things that break. IIRC, I was *terribly*
> unimpressed with the 2009 Port Debian to N32 project. It was just a
> recompile everything and see what breaks endeavor, which is what other
> people have done with much more success (see: Gentoo, Parabola).

I don't quite get the point why do you think others have done "with
much more success" when this project isn't started anyway. It's really
not simply recompiling everything because of the presence of real-life
Multi-Arch, and actually recompiling everything isn't even a required
task in the project's description.

--
Regards,
Aron Xu