Re: mips/mipsel diskless buildds? (was: qualification for Wheezy)

Hi,

I wondered why boxes like these are not diskless, with storage and swap
provisioned on some sort of NAS, perhaps via iSCSI.  I would think that
allows for faster I/O, more swap, resistance to disk failure through
RAID and/or checksumming, and easier backup/replacement of a failed
buildd from a saved filesystem image.

The issues like instability under load, hard disks failing fast, sounds
like heat problems, and drives that are maybe not designed for 24/7
operation.  With server-class, faster disks properly cooled in a
separate rack unit, the diskless mips/mipsel unit should also run cooler
with lower power consumption?

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain