Re: What is the status of Debian on Lemote Fuloong?

On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 03:18:22PM +0100, Michael Stevens wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 02:13:18PM +0000, Code Blue wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 05, 2012 at 03:02:49PM +0100, Michael Stevens wrote:
> > > I don't know the official status but I'm running Debian testing on my
> > > fuloong. Most things seem to work, i was able to do a USB install. I
> > > didn't find any good instructions for the install and I was unable to
> > > get grub to work, so I'm currently putting up with very slow pmon boots.
> >
> > I would be interested in keeping PMON and not using Grub since it boots
> > OpenBSD fine and I don't try to fix what ain't broke! I wonder if I have a
> > more recent PMON version than you are running. I have no complaints with
> > PMON. I actually kind of like it so far.
>
> The interface is fine. As I understand it there's some bug with loading
> an initrd which makes it extremely slow. Other people may know more.

I am not using an initrd with the OpenBSD install. That may be the difference.
As far as I can tell, OpenBSD boots on this box just as well as it does on
Intel boxes I have used in the past. I don't notice any unusual delays in
giving control to OpenBSD's bootloader nor in the boot process itself.

> > Are you saying you need the network driver because you're doing a net
> > install? That would be an annoying issue to deal with. I am hoping somebody
> > can point me to a USB install with everything I need for the base system on
> > it, and then presumably with the recent kernel I am hoping the installer
> > installs, I can build whatever apps I need after that. Thanks for your
> > update.
>
> I was doing a net install as those were the install images I found.

Hopefully someone can point me to a full USB installer with a recent kernel
that is designed to work on the Fuloong. If not I guess I will look for
another distro next week after to waiting to see if anyone has any other
info to add. Thanks for the help.