Re: [debian-mips][icedtea-jamvm] Any one using the icedtea-6-jre-jamvm on mipsel?

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed icedtea-6-jre-jamvm, which depends upon
> openjdk-6-jre-headless, and it provides the shared library libjvm.so.
>
> For some reason debian doesn't link this library inside
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, but when creating the link by hand, it
> happens that when starting iceweasel, there's no indication of any
> failure (on the term it was started), and when going to
> "about:plugins" there's no sign of the plugin.
>
> When trying to configure alternatives for mozilla-javaplugin.so, none
> is found unless the icetea-netx is installed, in which case the only
> alternative is the plugin provided by it, and when loading an applet
> one can read in the term that the plugin loaded of course was the zero
> hotspot one.
>
> I looked under google for options on the subject with no success.  Is
> the package broken, or am I missing something?  Is there a howto
> around?

I experimented with the following, under jre/lib/mipsel:

mv server/libjvm.so server/libjvm.so.orig
cd server
ln -s ../jamvm/libjvm.so

And then when doing:

java -version

I got the right version (the inline, not the zero hotspot)...  So
that's good news, however in order to have the icedtea plugin so, I
still need to have the netx installed.

I was expecting a perfomance boost on applets, but I didn't noticed
any at least on gmail, :-)

Not sure if that's all to be done, cause if so, I better stick with netx, :-)

Thanks,

--
Javier.