Re: Who wants to build a mips64 and/or mips64el n32 port?

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 6:56 PM, David Daney <ddaney.cavm@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

We (Cavium, Inc.) are interested in working with one or more people to create a MIPS 64 port of Debian.  As part of the effort, we can make available one or more fairly high end machines.  These would be cn5650 (12 CPU SMP) based, or similar, with 4GB of RAM and a large SATA disk.

Do you mean the n32 or n64 ABI on MIPS 64? I'm assuming n64. FYI there was a previous n32 google summer of code Debian project, and I think someone got something working but then lost interest (and I haven't been able to find the work from that). http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2009/Debian_loongson2f_N32_port

See: http://cavium.com/OCTEON-Plus_CN56XX.html

These are running unmodified Linux 3.2 kernels with mips/Squeeze installed and at first would be big-endian only.

We can also run little-endian in the future, but we are interested in attacking the big-endian problem first.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

For little-endian n32 or n64 work, my company would be willing to provide loongson2f machines for this project, and probably loongson3a machines when they are available later this year. We also have a SiCortex SC072 we could provide, and could likely also get Debian time on a much, much larger SiCortex system. We could either (preferred) get these to a Debian project member, or host them with remote KVM/USB/Serial.

Specs / info on hardware:
http://www.lemote.com/en/products/mini-computer/2010/0310/111.html
http://www.megware.com/config/media/files/38_SC072-PDS-Datasheet.pdf
http://www.opengear.com/product-IP-KVM.html

Happy porting,
--
        \|/      Daniel JB Clark | Activist; Owner
FREEDOM -+-> INCLUDED ~ http://freedomincluded.com