Re: Loongson console display text

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 01:18:28PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> Op 20100824 om 21:58 schreef Tzafrir Cohen:
> > On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 07:53:47PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> > >
> > > Meanwhile there is a Debian kernel for Loongson
> > > Still in 'exprimental', but it exists. Just do
> > >   cd /tmp
> > >   wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/linux-image-2.6.35-trunk-loongson-2f_2.6.35-1~experimental.2_mipsel.deb
> > >   wget http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/linux-2.6/linux-base_2.6.35-1~experimental.2_all.deb
> > >   dpkg -i linux-image-2.6.35-trunk-loongson-2f_2.6.35-1~experimental.2_mipsel.deb linux-base_2.6.35-1~experimental.2_all.deb
> > > to get it installed.
> >
> > I tried upgrading to it. It fails to boot here.
> >
> > I decided I'll stick with pmon for the moment and only switch to grub
> > once I see the kernel works, so I'm still with pmon.
>
> For me works pmon fine  ( and have no reason to switch to grub or other
> bootloader )

Does pmon support loading space-invadors?

> > In /boot/boot.cfg I have, among others: The default entry that works:
> >
> > title Linux 2.6.33-rc2
> >         kernel /dev/fs/ext2@wd0/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.33-rc2
> >         args console=tty root=/dev/hda1
>
> My fuloong has

(I have the Yeeloong netbook.)

>   title           debian 2.6.35
>    kernel         (wd0,0)/boot/vmlinux-2.6.35-trunk-loongson-2f
>    args           console=tty root=/dev/sda1
>
> ( Note the '(wd0,0)' that indicates the boot device partition )

That helped getting the system up properly. I can now ssh in. Still
nothing in the console.

When I try to run Xorg, I get:

(EE) Failed to load module "siliconmotion" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory

Hmm... xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion was not installed. Let's try
again.

(EE) open /dev/fb0: No such file or directory
(EE) SMI(0): Cannot read V_BIOS (5) No such file or directory

I guess I removed it because it crashed the X server with earlier
kernels.

OK. I guess I need to look into the display drivers. Now wasn't there
one in the staging tree?

Yup. drivers/staging/sm7xx .

Building vs. the -headers package. insmoding. Looks nicer...

Adding it to /etc/modules, and I have a console.

So, should it be built into the kernel? Be probed by something? It
should at least be built as a module, I guess.

Oh, and the siliconmotion Xorg driver still segfaults. I must remove it
if I want a working X.

tzafrir@debian.org    |                    | friend