Re: Cobalt Qube2 – lenny+chroot or sid?

On Sunday 21 March 2010 10:57:53 am Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just got a Qube2 from a cow-orker. (Sadly without the power supply
> unit; if someone near .de has a spare one it’d be greatly appreciated,
> otherwise I’ll have to go to ePray.) I plan on putting maximum memory
> into it, installing Debian and use it as sort of my main build machine
> for uploads (at the moment, I’m ssh’ing to other boxen, which is sub-
> optimal as I don’t put my PGP key there), it could also be useful for
> testing things such as the upstream-proposed gcc fix for the binutils
> bug.

Be aware that RAM for that machine can be hard to find and is relatively
expensive.

http://www.pcmemorystore.com/Sun_Cobalt-RAQ-Qube2-ram.htm

As for a power supply, you just need anything that will provide 12 volts at
3.3 amps (45 watts). This should be easy to find, except possibly for the
connector.

I have a  Qube-2 running Debian. I added RAM and a larger hard drive, remember
you have to boot from a smaller disk partition. It's a nice little machine,
low power, quiet and very reliable.

I did have to replace the fan, the factory one failed after 5 years.