FTBFS: mlton, "Error: Branch out of range"

I have run into a probable mips codegn bug in gcc-4.3_4.3.4-5. MLton
generates some C files which gcc then compiles. A previous upload [1]
encountered no problems, but a later upload [2] had this to say:
      gcc -std=gnu99 -c -I/build/buildd/mlton-20091021/build/lib/self/include \
          -I/build/buildd/mlton-20091021/build/lib/include -O1 -fno-common \
          -fno-strict-aliasing -fomit-frame-pointer -w -o /tmp/fileJHJ2VK.o \
          /tmp/file0nU2H3.256.c
/tmp/ccNtw4Bd.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/ccNtw4Bd.s:32335: Error: Branch out of range

The two uploads are quite similar so this difference is somewhat
surprising. It also doesn't happen on mipsel. The assembler is being
generated by gcc. Unfortunately I do not have access to the buildd
system in question (ball) so I cannot retrieve the suspect '.c' file
to debug it. Worse, I don't have access to any mips machine with
sufficient memory to build the package at all! If anyone could help
out, I would greatly appreciate it.

[1] <https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=mlton&ver=20091018&arch=mips&stamp=1256044801&file=log>
[2] <https://buildd.debian.org/fetch.cgi?&pkg=mlton&ver=20091021&arch=mips&stamp=1256193568&file=log>