Re: IP35 Origin 300/3000 support?

Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:44:30PM +0100, Laurent GUERBY wrote:
>
>> For the compile farm project I manage I was proposed a donation of the
>> exact same hardware (Origin 300 with 4 cpus and 2GB RAM). I'll let
>> you know when I have more information.
>>
>> BTW, in the SGI/MIPS family, do you know what is the most powerful
>> hardware currently supported (hardware not weighting near a ton, more
>> like a workstation or a few U)? Bootstraping GCC takes a while these
>> days :).
>
> Some R10000-family based workstation that would be then.  That leaves the
> choice between the Indigo 2 R10000 (supported in tree), O2 (R10000
> version not supported in-tree and external patches not stable afaik) and
> the Octane which is only supported by external patches.
>
> If you're just after raw computing power for bootstrapping GCC then maybe
> what you want is something like a Broadcom Swarm or Big Sur evaluation
> board which have 2 rsp. 4 pretty beefy cores with FPU.  Maybe there is
> also something Cavium-based that works reasonably well - my Cavium system
> unfortunately has no PATA or SATA controller and no PCI slots thus no
> local storage.
>
> My personal wish to eval board developers - design those things to be
> usable like workstations or headless servers, with the option of local
> storage and a system controller along the lines of an Origins that
> allows remote reset etc.  Costs one microcontroller extra, adds alots of
> usability.  Malta got that one right (send a break on the serial console
> for reset) and Cavium has an extra serial port for that sort of use.
>
>   Ralf

Anyone in the Boston area (or coming in for the upcoming Boston
conferences) would be welcome to take this Origin 200 (or anything else
pictured at http://static.fsf.org/nosvn/reuse-recycle/):

http://static.fsf.org/nosvn/reuse-recycle/fsf-reuse-recycle-2/original_img_1909_jpg.jpeg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SGI_Origin_200#Processor

--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny