Re: Root password of Sun Qube2 Restore CD 2.0

On Wednesday 02 July 2008 15:40:42 Mark wrote:
> On Jul 2, 10:50 pm, Brian Wood <b...@beww.org> wrote:
> > The original Qube 2 software is pretty well dated. If you want to
> > "restore" your Qube2 I'd just install Debian, Gentoo or your favorite
> > distro on it.
> >
> > But to answer your question, I'm not aware of needing a root password for
> > the restore process:
> >
> > http://zeffie.net/pipermail/zeffie-users_zeffie.net/2005-March/000141...
>
> Hiya,
>
> I'm more curious than anything, not seen what the original software
> looks like and provides, so I was going to shove a disk in and look.
>
> The reason I need the root password is because when I boot the CD on a
> virtual server (Parallels on OSX) it does not pass the requirements
> check for a supported NIC, what I want to do is switch to another
> console (alt-f5), log in as root (for which I need the password) and
> then see if I can lod a module for the emulated Realtek NIC, and if
> that works then I can restart the restore process.
>
> Any clues ?  Or tips ?

Remember that the CD is so old you are dealing with a 2.2 or possibly a 2.0
kernel, not sure if you can get the Realtek to work with that.

I do recall now that the CD is only supposed to work with a very limited set
of hardware, including network cards. I'm not sure if there even is a known
root password - I suppose you could image the CD, then modify it. You would
also have to bypass the hardware checks somehow, then re-burn the CD image.

But to be truthful, as I said before, I wouldn't spend a lot of time trying to
load the original software, it really is ancient, and the box is known to
work so well with Debian or Gentoo that I would go that route, but that's me.

beww