Debian 4 on Qube 2700

I was very interested in the recent Debian 4 release for MIPS, and
dashed off to set up a boot-from-nfs as described by Martin on
http://cyrius.com/debian/cobalt/install.html

Basically, it worked fine, except that when the NFS-delivered kernel
booted up into SSH install mode, the network port went down and didn't
come up. I surmise that this kernel doesn't have the driver required
for Qube 2700?

lspci reports a DECchip 21041 [Tulip pass 3], and I seem to remember
this being an issue for the hard-drive-image install method a while
ago, but the mailing list archives and I aren't getting on well
together at the moment.

-jim