Re: IP32 and 32bit kernel

On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 03:19:41PM +0100, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> Hi all,
> I had some trouble with an XFS crash lately, so I tried to dump/restore
> a few filesystem in order to test the complete backup cycle.
> I discovered that xfsdump and xfsrestore cannot work on IP32 since they
> are 32 bits executables while the kernel (and the xfs kernel module) is
> 64 bit.

This can work - For 64 CPUs e.g. R4k and up it is common to run a 64Bit
kernel and a 32Bit userspace.

E.g.

flo@reset:~$ file /bin/bash
/bin/bash: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, MIPS, MIPS-I version 1 (SYSV), for
GNU/Linux 2.4.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux
2.4.0, stripped
flo@reset:~$ uname -a
Linux reset 2.6.9-rc2 #8 Fri Sep 24 17:23:43 CEST 2004 mips64 GNU/Linux

I guess xfsdump/restore use some interesting ioctl's which might
need compat wrappers for the 32/64 bit case. But this is how its
supposed to work.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff                  flo@rfc822.org             +49-171-2280134
	Those who would give up a little freedom to get a little