IP32 and 32bit kernel

Hi all,
I had some trouble with an XFS crash lately, so I tried to dump/restore
a few filesystem in order to test the complete backup cycle.
I discovered that xfsdump and xfsrestore cannot work on IP32 since they
are 32 bits executables while the kernel (and the xfs kernel module) is
64 bit.

So I am wondering what are the reasons to have a 64 bit kernel on an
IP32 machine. Is it possible to provide a 32 bit kernel (beside the
current one or in place of the current one)?

Bye,
Giuseppe