O2 installation: No installable kernel was found in the defined APT sources.

I'm attempting to install Debian on an O2.

I've used a couple of netboot images - currently I'm using the netboot image I downloaded from ftp://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-mips/current/images/r5k-ip32/

I have successfully partitioned the hard drive as per the guide provided by http://js1.kicks-ass.org/~js1/debianO2.html

The installation then continues through the "Installing the base system" portion of the show until I get:

"No installable kernel was found in the defined APT sources."

Console 4 reports:

base-installer: info: could not determine kernel flavour (this message is repeated several times, btw)
base installer: info: Found kernels ''

Over on console 3 running archdetect returns "mips/unknown"

I've tried two different apt repositories (ftp.au.debian.org and ftp.us.debian org) just to be sure, and have tried all three releases (stable, testing and unstable) also.

The box itself is:

System: IP32
Processor: 300 Mhz R5000, with FPU
Memory size: 192 Mbytes