Re: Install on an Octane

Just for grins, you might want to try the LiveCD RC6 in that directory tree under experimental/mips. (Back up 2 levels.)

That is a bootable CD that should take you strait into an XORG-X11 environment. You cannot login as root directly. Just wait and it will timeout and log you in as a "gentoo user". You can then "sudo su -" to get a root shell.

From there, I typically repartition the main hard disk and make about a
50MB volume header on the drive. I use dvhtool to stuff the netboot image there and add arcload and a basic arc.cf file that will allow me to load the netboot image. I typically leave it there even after I have my run-time kernel as an emergency repair system.

The decision you will need to make is whether you want a gentoo or a debian system. Although you might not be able to do the initial install of debian quite so easily since the Octane is not a fully supported platform, it should still be possible. This might entail manually creating and mounting your disk file systems from within the LiveCD environment or the gentoo netboot environment and manually dropping down the debian base system instead of the gentoo base. You would then have to roll you own debian kernel package for IP30. You could probably theft a gentoo kernel for that to get started.

After that, you should be able to dselect all your favorite stuff like normal. I have both a Debian and a Gentoo install on separate boxes and find reasons to enjoy both. I really like being able to quickly install a debian binary package when I need a tool for a quick job. On the other hand, for an R5K or higher CPU, it's nice to be able to compile all your packages with the CPU optimizations the way Gentoo does.

Either route you go, please keep us posted on your success. Gentoo has a mips list too and I subscribe there as well.

-S-