PROM upgrade on Indy?

Hi,

I was under the impression that installing a new version of IRIX would upgrade the PROM some time during the installation. I tried installing 6.5 on and Indy, but the PROM still has the same version as before:
version
PROM Monitor SGI Version 5.0 Rev B6 IP24 Sep 28, 1994 (BE)

After reading http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/download.cgi?coll=hdwr&db=bks&docnumber=007-3057-001 I am wondering if the only way to upgrade the PROM is to replace the chip.

Is it possible I just missed installing whatever package would upgrade the PROM? I did a keep *; install hardware; and a couple conf to get rid of packages that weren't installable. I thought that would have been enough.

If you are wondering why I want to upgrade the PROM, it is because I have an R5000 that doesn't work well and I want to swap the CPU without anything else. If I try to netboot debian it hangs, and even the Irix installer dies pretty quickly. (fx seems to work fine though)

If swapping the PROM chips is the only way, then I guess I'll have to do that...

Thanks,
Ivan