Re: Experimental MIPS 2.6 kernels - please test

Martin Michlmayr wrote:

Issues I'm particularly interested in:
 - Is Cobalt 2.6 stable when you use disk and network at the same time
   a lot?
Yes it is. I downloaded ~230MByte from the internet straight to an external USB2 hard drive. Then I copied these 230MBye to an SMB-Server on the LAN. However, I haven't done any testing using the network and the built-in IDE disk at the same time... I'll do that later on this week.
 - Do PCI cards work in the Cobalt Qube, e.g. USB PCI or SCSI?
Well, my Via USB2 card does, as implied above -- but not at full speed. In fact, only at 1Mbyte/. I guess that has nothing to do with your kernel, since copying from the internal drive to the internal drive itself isn't much faster. Limit of the bus speed maybe?

However, I had one problem: I tried to mount the external drive using ntfs (since it was pre-formatted that way). After about 4 or 5 minutes I tried to kill the process since it wasn't responding to Ctrl+C and it even remained alive after closing my SSH connection. Wasn't able to kill it, though. Everything else became incredibly slow and sluggish, man, grep, ls, the most basic things. So I finally rebooted the system (using reboot, *not* the power button) and formatted the hard drive using ext2. Was I too impatient? It's a 250GByte drive, maybe mount needs some time for that...

Thanks,
Daniel