Can't build kernel - mipsel-linux-ld: Command not found

Hi,

I'm using a fresh installed sarge on a cobalt RAQ2. I would like to
integrate cryptoloop into the kernel using the debian patched kernel.

However, when I try 'make bzImage' it tells me 'make: *** No rule to
make target `bzImage'.  Stop.'

And when I try to use 'make' it compiles a while and tells me then

make[2]: Entering directory `/mnt/hda3/src/kernel-source-2.4.27/kernel'
rm -f kernel.o
mipsel-linux-ld -m elf32ltsmip  -r -o kernel.o sched.o dma.o fork.o
exec_domain.o panic.o printk.o module.o exit.o itimer.o info.o time.o
softirq.o resource.o sysctl.o acct.o capability.o ptrace.o timer.o
user.o signal.o sys.o kmod.o context.o ksyms.o
make[2]: mipsel-linux-ld: Command not found
make[2]: *** [kernel.o] Error 127

Any Idea what I missed
Best regards
Alexander