Re: RaQ2 debian-installer and raid-1

Harald Kapper wrote:
[snip]
> >> now - my stupid question: how comes the patch is in testing for cobalt, but the
> >> source-tree is not yet available - does this make any sense?
> >
> >kernel-patch-2.4.27-mips Build-Depends on kernel-source-2.4.27. The
> >testing migration scripts care about Depends, not Build-Depends.
>
> uhm - I'm a non-guru here - if you could explain this a bit more to me please?
> (or send me to rtfm :))

Testing isn't required to be buildable from itself. Packages are usually
built from unstable, and migrate to testing eventually when the binary
package has all its dependencies met.

> >> and more interesting: is there a workaround for me to build my own kernel
> >> anyway?
> >
> >Use kernel-patch-2.4.27-mips plus the kernel-source-2.4.27 deb from unstable.
>
> that's what I'm doing as described above I hope, but somewhere on the way I
> still get stuck with dpkg-buildpackage.

Download kernel-source-2.4.27 from the archive, e.g. via
wget http://ftp.debian.org/pool/main/k/kernel-source-2.4.27/kernel-source-2.4.27_2.4.27-7_all.deb
and install it with dpkg -i.

Btw, kernel-patch-2.4.27-mips will try to build all kernels supported
for mipsel, you may want to comment out all other subarchitectures
besides cobalt in debian/rules (in the subarches := ... line).

Thiemo