Re: can't partition disk?

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:53:20 +0000, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:
> * Jiann-Ming Su <sujiannming@gmail.com> [2005-03-25 19:23]:
> > When I try to manually run fdisk on the virtual console, it simply
> > says "Unable to open /dev/sda".  dmesg shows:
>
> The installer uses devfs.  Can you try "fdisk dev/scsi/..." (just use
> tab completion to get the full path).

"fdisk /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/disc" seems to work.

> Why are you running fdisk manually anyway?  The installer should drop
> you into fdisk and open the right partition.

First, I get the following message:

  This partitioner doesn't have information about the default type of
  the partition tables on your architecture.  Please send an e-mail
  message to debian-boot@lists.debian.org with information.

  Please note that if the type of the partition table is unsupported by
  libparted, then this partitioner will not work properly.

  Continue with partitioning?

The default is Yes, so I choose it.  The partitioner tries to start,
and then I get:

  No partitionable media were found.

  Please check that a hard disk is attached to this machine.

This is when I go to the second virtual console and try to run fdisk manually.

I just tried the older image (Dec 19, 2004) and partitioning seems to
work.  The new image also complains about keyboard localization.  I
seem to be able to safely skip through that part.  And, your message

  bootp(): append="debian-installer/framebuffer=false"

doesn't apply to the new (Feb 9) image.  The older image would not
bring up the install interface without adding the "append=".

Does the new install image allow me to use filesystems other than ext[23]?
--
Jiann-Ming Su