Re: Cube2 install problems - Kernel panic VFS

Hi Jacob,

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 07:52:37AM +0100, Jacob.Hooysma@ict.nl wrote:
> and than the execute (which I not completely understand)
> execute initrd={initrd-size}@{initrd-start} console=ttyS0,{console-speed}
> I used: execute initrd= filesize of initrd.gz @0 console=ttyS0,115200
> After which I get the follow output and ending with a kernel panic
> > execute initrd=1557955@0 console=ttyS0,115200

I just recently installed on my Qube2 but I wasn't able to use Martin's
method since I don't have a null-modem cable. I installed woody first
and then ths explained to me how to upgrade to sarge. Anyways, as far as
I know, you don't need to specify any arguments. Is there anything in
/var/log/messages, for example, that might show any errors. Here's what
worked for me, I figure I'll mention it in case anyone else doesn't have
a null-modem cable (skip to bottom for "execute" information):

1) Install woody as explained in Paul Martin's HOWTO:

   http://people.debian.org/~pm/deb-cobalt-howto.txt

   Be sure to setup ssh, pump, and the lcdutils is nice to do as well.
   try to do as much as you can before reboot since in this case you
   have no way to login if you mess up. you can always netboot the woody
   ramdisk again and use it as a rescue if needed. just go through the
   installer and mount previously initialized paritions. then go to
   execute shell, chroot /target, and fix what you need. ;-) speaking
   from experience

2) SSH into the installed system as root and edit /etc/apt/sources.list

   Copy the woody line and change woody to sarge. Then comment out the
   stable/woody entry (causes apt to blow up on my machine due to memory
   contraints if you have both)

3) Manually download kernel and bootloader

   wget http://saens.debian.org/debian/pool/main/k/kernel-patch-2.4.27-mips/kernel-image-2.4.27-r5k-cobalt_2.4.27-8.040815-1_mipsel.deb
   wget http://saens.debian.org/debian/pool/main/c/colo/colo_1.16-1_mipsel.deb

4) Install the kernel and bootloader (force it :/)

   dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.27-r5k-cobalt_2.4.27-8.040815-1_mipsel.deb
   dpkg -i --force-depends colo_1.16-1_mipsel.deb
   cp /usr/share/doc/colo/examples/default.colo /boot

5) Edit default.colo and set root to proper partition then create a
   symbolic link to the kernel

   ln -s vmlinux-2.4.27-r5k-cobalt vmlinux

6) Reboot loading the new kernel and SSH in to the box.

   apt-get update
   apt-get dist-upgrade

   You might need to apt-get -f install to fix any broken dependancies.

It's late so I hope I didn't mess that up. ;/ I wish you luck! I'm sure
someone else has better information on using the Sarge nfsroot stuff.

Seems like what you've done is correct. Again check the logs and
see if it grabbed the initrd. I guess I'm just in agreement now about
the execute line. Do you have the README.shell handy? It's got a lot of
options in it. Just in case you don't I've uploaded it here:

http://penguinppc.org/~core/colo/

Take a look through README.shell. I uncompressed it for you just in case
too... *yawn* Hope this helps... sleep for me soon. ;)

peace,
core