Re: [mipsel] fakeroot woes on vaughan

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 06:08:59PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 07:47:36PM -0600, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
>
> > dd@vaughan:~/quantlib-0.3.8$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc -b -B
> > dpkg-buildpackage: source package is quantlib
> > dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 0.3.8-1
> > dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>
> > dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is mipsel
> >  fakeroot debian/rules clean
> > dh_testdir
> > make: *** [clean] Segmentation fault
> > edd@vaughan:~/quantlib-0.3.8$ debian/rules clean
> > dh_testdir
> > dh_testroot
> > dh_testroot: You must run this as root (or use fakeroot).
> > make: *** [clean] Error 1
> > edd@vaughan:~/quantlib-0.3.8$ dpkg-buildpackage -rsudo -us -uc -b -B
> > dpkg-buildpackage: source package is quantlib
> > dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 0.3.8-1
> > dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>
> > dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is mipsel
> >  sudo debian/rules clean
> > /usr/bin/dpkg-buildpackage: line 175: sudo: command not found
> > edd@vaughan:~/quantlib-0.3.8$ dpkg-buildpackage -rsu -us -uc -b -B
> > dpkg-buildpackage: source package is quantlib
> > dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 0.3.8-1
> > dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>
> > dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is mipsel
> >  su debian/rules clean
> > Unknown id: debian/rules
> > edd@vaughan:~/quantlib-0.3.8$ fakeroot debian/rules clean
> > dh_testdir
> > make: *** [clean] Segmentation fault
> > edd@vaughan:~/quantlib-0.3.8$
>
> > I am trying to build a package on vaughan, but am not getting very far.  Any
> > ideas?
>
> fakeroot is known to not work on mips or mipsel.  The autobuilders use
> sudo instead of fakeroot as the root command during package builds.
>
> For testing purposes on these architectures (since you don't have root
> privileges on vaughan), you'll need to drop the dh_testroot command from
> your debian/rules.

Actually, I need to build the whole package as the lack of it is holding up
quantlib (and related packages) for testing.

It has been timing out on mipsel; the autobuilder supposedly has too short a
fuse.  Quantlib does some fancy c++ and that takes some time.  It used to
build reliably, but the last few releases failed on mipsel. And only on
mipsel.

Dirk

--
Better to have an approximate answer to the right question than a precise
answer to the wrong question.  --  John Tukey as quoted by John Chambers