[mipsel] fakeroot woes on vaughan

dd@vaughan:~/quantlib-0.3.8$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc -b -B
dpkg-buildpackage: source package is quantlib
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 0.3.8-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is mipsel
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh_testdir
make: *** [clean] Segmentation fault
edd@vaughan:~/quantlib-0.3.8$ debian/rules clean
dh_testdir
dh_testroot
dh_testroot: You must run this as root (or use fakeroot).
make: *** [clean] Error 1
edd@vaughan:~/quantlib-0.3.8$ dpkg-buildpackage -rsudo -us -uc -b -B
dpkg-buildpackage: source package is quantlib
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 0.3.8-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is mipsel
 sudo debian/rules clean
/usr/bin/dpkg-buildpackage: line 175: sudo: command not found
edd@vaughan:~/quantlib-0.3.8$ dpkg-buildpackage -rsu -us -uc -b -B
dpkg-buildpackage: source package is quantlib
dpkg-buildpackage: source version is 0.3.8-1
dpkg-buildpackage: source maintainer is Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd@debian.org>
dpkg-buildpackage: host architecture is mipsel
 su debian/rules clean
Unknown id: debian/rules
edd@vaughan:~/quantlib-0.3.8$ fakeroot debian/rules clean
dh_testdir
make: *** [clean] Segmentation fault
edd@vaughan:~/quantlib-0.3.8$

I am trying to build a package on vaughan, but am not getting very far.  Any
ideas?

Please CC me as I am not subscribed to debian-mips.

Thanks, Dirk

--
Better to have an approximate answer to the right question than a precise
answer to the wrong question.  --  John Tukey as quoted by John Chambers