Re: removing gcj/gij/libgcj from the gcc-3.4 mips{,el} build

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 08:53:06AM +0100, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Talking with some debian mips people it looks like the mips{,el}
> problems about GOT handling are not resolved in the sarge time frame.
> You can work around them by building a glibc-got-static libc6 (see
> #274738), but nobody wants to put in the resources for this task. The
> only package currently directly affected by this is libgcj/gcj from
> gcc-3.4, however some java related package may depend on
> gij-3.4/gcj-3.4 as well (gcj-3.3/gij-3.3 isn't available on mips{,el}.

I don't see anything with a dependency on gcj-3.4 except for libgcj5-dev.
There's one package with a build-dep on libgcj5-dev -- swingwt
Build-Depends: libgcj-dev | libgcj5-dev, but it hasn't built on mips*
anyway, so can be ignored.  There's also one package, gcjwebplugin, with a
dep on gij-3.4; I recently installed gcjwebplugin here and found it
entertainingly broken (though not as entertaining as the java game I was
trying to play would have been ;), and it's not likely to release with
sarge.

So yes, I agree with this change -- which I see has already been uploaded,
but just for the record. ;)

Have you filed a bug yet on ftp.debian.org about removing the stale
binaries?

Thanks,
--
Steve Langasek