Re: Installing Debian on a Qube 1

Hi!

On 14.10.2004, at 00:44, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

* Jim Cheetham <jim@iNode.co.nz> [2004-10-07 12:07]:
Assuming that you don't have time to tarball for a Qube 2700

I've generated a tarball now.  I don't have a Qube without serial
console to test, but it doesn't show any console output on my Qube2 so
hopefully it will work!  Instructions are below.

Thanks a lot for your efforts.

I'm afraid I have to report the same results as Jim. CoLo loads the kernel, then the machine hangs displaying "Loading Debian". That's actually consistent with the experiment where I tried to boot the installation kernel from hard disk with a hacked initrd that should have done nothing but print a message on the LCD.

Jim's analysis from syslog doesn't seem correct, however. syslog is only started later in the boot sequence, after mounting the file systems. But there was no furter (disk) activity after loading the kernel. Also, the November timestamps in the log are consistent with tar's warnings of timestamps in the future while unpacking the tar ball.

By the way, CoLo per se works fine. While I had the original Cobalt system installed, I modified it to boot the kernel via CoLo, and that worked.

Anyway, does anybody have hints what could be in the kernel that causes it to hang? I'll try to fiddle with kernel command line options a bit now, maybe I can even bring the system up with Cobalt's original kernel...

Greetings,
chrisp

--
chrisp a.k.a. Christoph Pfisterer   "A computer scientist is
cp@chrisp.de - http://chrisp.de      someone who fixes things