Re: woody->sarge upgrades on mips: glibc vs. kernel

On Sat, Sep 04, 2004 at 11:54:38AM +0200, Guido Guenther wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 10:42:12PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > It's come to my attention that on mips(el), the glibc in sarge is
> > incompatible with the kernel in woody, and the kernel in sarge is
> > incompatible with the glibc in woody.  This is an impasse that has to be
> > resolved for sarge's release, so that upgrades from woody to sarge can
> > be supported.
>
> What exactly is the issue with kernels in sarge running on woody?

As I understand it, it's emulation of missing instructions on certain
hardware (at least, that's the case on i386).

> I'm running 2.4.22 without any problems since several months on mips
> now. We could then simply add to the release notes that on woody
> upgrades the kernel has to be updated first, then glibc.

Modern kernel packages have dependencies that require a glibc newer than
that in woody. To break this deadlock, we need upgrade kernel packages
so that there's something to which we can point users in the release
notes.

Cheers,