Re: Cobalt Kernel

Marquess, Dustin wrote:
> I have finally got Debian/sarge running on my Cobalt 2.
>
> I am curious, however, about the kernel that it comes with
> (2.4.25-r5k-cobalt).  I noticed in /boot there's a patches-2.4.25-r5k-cobalt
> file, but it's only 6 bytes and appears to just contain "0mips".

/boot/patches lists the names of the applied patches. 2.4.25 has one
cumulated monster-patch, in 2.4.26 it's somewhat better structured.

> Is this kernel just the linux-mips.org kernel with the kernel patchees from
> http://www.colonel-panic.org/cobalt-mips/ , or is it something else?

It is from the Debian 2.4.25 kernel-source package (includes security
patches), plus the diff between kernel.org and linux-mips.org, plus
colonel-panic patch, plus some other stuff.

> Just curious because it seems to work great, however I had some issues with
> 2.4.26 from linux-mips.org and the colonel-panic patches, so I was just
> curious if I'm missing something.

AFAIK the 2.4.26 in testing/unstable should work as well for cobalt,
it has some minor issues fixed.

Thiemo