Re: cobalt/mipsel instabilities

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 05:35:36PM +0100, Robert Lemmen wrote:

> during that "debian needs buildds" someone said that we had two cobalt
> machines that are suffering from instabilities. i have a qube2 myself
> and it didn't have any problems so far. can anyone tell me what the
> instabilities on the buildds are? i wouldn't want to ship the box to
> it's colo with a bad kernel...

If you have an older kernel (something in the range of 2.4.18) or
a box with only one Ethernetcontroller and 2.4.20, it works in most
cases.
Other combinations end up with
- non-working ethernet
- random segfaults

The buildds need to run a current kernel because the current mipsel
glibc from unstable does not work with old kernels.
The current Linux/MIPS CVS plus the patches from Peter Horton (available
at http://www.colonel-panic.org/cobalt-mips/) seems to run ok as long
as DMA is enabled for IDE disk access.

HTH,
Karsten