Re: I have a heavy problem on O2(r5k) 180Mhz

Hi,

Crow Lim wrote:
using kernel 2.5.5 (64bit) of http://www.linux-mips.org/~glaurung

using that kernel my O2 hangs after configuring the ptys (or at least
I cannot see any more output after that. Booting with version 2.5.47
shows VICE starting after that.

rootfs was <link>

I used that rootfs with kernel 2.5.47.
I configured /etc/fstab, /etc/hostname, /etc/resolv.conf and
/etc/apt/sources.list.

now, How can i install debian system?

After that you should be able to install the system using your prefered
package tool (e.g. dselect). I can get the packages without (greater)
problems, but installing ...

Trying that I had to use a swap partition, since the kernel only sees
about 45872kB of memory and the install/update of the overall base
system seemed to need more than that.

I had several problems:
- I had to set the clock to the right date, since the system was unable
  to handle the hwclock.
- I often see nfs hanging, waiting for the server (which is still up
  and running) and after a transmit timeout of eth0 it goes on. Could
  be a problem with the driver of the network card (just a guess).
- often I get scrolled with 'sgio2fb: granted dot-clock=25172 kHz'
- Once I got by loading the same kernel using the BIOS not only a
  PANIC, but a DOUBLE PANIC - whatever that is (note - a panic of
  the BIOS, not the Kernel). :-/
- I often see kernel errors - sometimes panics -> this happenes
  so often, that I cannot complete the install

Even without swap partition the package installation using only dpkg
failes and often dpkg just leaves a never ending and not interuptable
process, which still locks the status database, so I cannot use a new one.

My conclusion is still, that kernel version 2.5.47 is _very_ unstable,
but (at least for me) the only precompiled version which is able to
mount root, so that I can get a prompt.

So I will again turn into the direction of setting up a cross compiler
and trying that.

Frank Loeffler