2.4.20 SCSI problems on NASRaQ

Hello all.  I'm trying to get Debian 3.0r1 working usefully on a
MIPS-based Seagate (Cobalt) NASRaQ.  The system uses the same processor
as the Qube 2 and has an integrated 53c860 SCSI controller, which would
appear to be supported by no fewer than three kernel drivers!

I'm compiling the kernel source available at
ftp://ftp.linux-mips.org/pub/linux/mips/kernel/test/linux-2.4.20.tar.gz
WITH Paul Martin's tulip and PCIfun patches applied.  I should mention
that the stock 2.4.20 source with the debian kernel-patch-2.4-cobalt
package applied to it presented numerous problems and I had to give up.

The problem is that upon boot (or module installation), I get similar
messages from all three SCSI drivers.

Examples:

sym.0.8.0: IO region 0x10102000[0..127] is in use
or
ncr53c8xx: IO region 0x10102000[0..127] is in use

On boot, the boot process just goes on, but no 'scsi0 blah blah'
printout occurs, and nothing is printed about a tape drive I have
attached to the machine for testing.

When installing as a module (only tested with sym53c8xx driver) the
module installation fails and a message like above is printed to the
serial console.

Doing a 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi' yields

Attached devices: none

no matter what.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  We'd really like to modernize the
NASRaQ and still be able to use its SCSI port.