Re: install from CD on an Indy

Hi Bruce,
On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 09:08:45PM -0000, Bruce Murray wrote:
> As far as I am aware, the big-endian MIPS port only supports R4K MIPS
> machines with IP22 architecture i.e. that subset of Indigo2's. R5K or R10K
> machines might give you a problem because I believe different cache handling
Big endian mips supports far more than that. Have a look at the kernel
tree. However the debian installer currently only supports IP22 and
IP24. R5K Indys work very well, however some people reported problems
with the installer on R5K systems. Unfortunately we never got detailed
enough error reports to even suspect what's going wrong.

[..snip..]
> An Indigo2 is probably a bit more expandable internally than an Indy. But if
In case you don't want to run serial console only: the Indy with XL
graphics is usually much easier to find than an I2 with an XL board.

[..snip..]
> either a network connection or possibly making boot floppies for use on a
> floptical drive (sometimes, but rarely, available on Indys). Except, of
We don't support flopticals in the installer at the moment. I once
wanted to look into this but it turned out the floptical I got from eBay
is broken :|

> As Guido says, given a suitable volunteer with appropriate knowledge, it
> could eventually be that the "bootable disc" functionality gets integrated
> into CD#1 of a future release. But whilst it is relatively easy to do
> manually, for a project like Debian has it has to properly integrated into
> the disc building process, (as an extra step after making and iso image) and
> is still likely to break if someone tries to use jigdo etc, so it's tougher
> than it sounds at first.
I think this all boils down to locating the starting block and size of
the boot file and then calling genisovh with these parameters on the
already generated iso image.
Regards,
 -- Guido