Re: install from CD on an Indy

As far as I am aware, the big-endian MIPS port only supports R4K MIPS
machines with IP22 architecture i.e. that subset of Indigo2's. R5K or R10K
machines might give you a problem because I believe different cache handling
code is needed in the kernel. I'm sure an official Debian developer will
wade in with the details.

An Indigo2 is probably a bit more expandable internally than an Indy. But if
you want a reasonably fuss-free installation, probably best stick to R4K
processors (or buy a copy of IRIX at lavish expense!).

But with the lack of ISO9660 support in the disc set installer "as is"
(currently) sounds to me like it's impossible to boot "CD only" i.e. without
either a network connection or possibly making boot floppies for use on a
floptical drive (sometimes, but rarely, available on Indys). Except, of
course, using the boot disc method described previously.

As Guido says, given a suitable volunteer with appropriate knowledge, it
could eventually be that the "bootable disc" functionality gets integrated
into CD#1 of a future release. But whilst it is relatively easy to do
manually, for a project like Debian has it has to properly integrated into
the disc building process, (as an extra step after making and iso image) and
is still likely to break if someone tries to use jigdo etc, so it's tougher
than it sounds at first.

Bruce