Re: MIPS port backlog, autobuilder machines and some arrogance

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 11:34:41AM +0100, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:
> As some of you know the mips port has some problems keeping up.

Daniel Stone and I have been trying for months to get feedback regarding
xfree86 > 4.3.0-0pre1v1 on mips, and we are always met with stony
silence.

> Everything went well with that machine - until we directed the request to
> debian-admin to get wanna-build access for mips. The request was rejected
> with the following reasons (to my knowledge):
> - another machine is in the works

Which, of course, will never go down, suffer hardware failure, or have
its hosting site suffer a power outage or fire.

> - we don´t need your machine

And we never will; see above.

> - you don´t have any knowledge about mips, so the machine wouldn´t be of any
> help at all.

It's not like you're an experienced buildd admin, and it's vitally
important that people who aren't already experts at administrating mips
buildds not gain that expertise.

> As a result and a sort of protest, I´ll stopped my m68k buildd, because I
> don´t know m68k that much to be of any help for this port anymore. Therefore
> my m68k isn´t needed anymore as my offered mips machine isn´t needed for the
> mips port or the Debian project at all.

I'm not sure I agree with your decision, but I do think I understand
your frustration.

Can I ask why it is such a disaster to have an alternate or standby
buildd for the mips architecture?

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Kissing girls is a goodness.  It is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    a growing closer.  It beats the