Re: Unable to tftp to Indy

Cameron Mac Millan wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Apologies if I'm asking a common question, but I have googled myself
> stupid on this and can't find any documentation that directly addresses
> what I'm seeing happen here - at least, not in a way that makes sense to
> me.
>
> I have two Indys: one is an R4600SC, the other is an R4600/133.  Both
> have 64MB of RAM and 2GB (blank, recycled from working stock) HDDs; hinv
> and printenv confirm this.  Both also have the same problem: neither one can
> grab the tftpboot.img boot image from the tftp server I have connected
> directly to the box via a crossover cable.  I can grab the image just
> fine from other (non-SGI) machines via tftp, so tftpd is starting and
> working as expected; the same goes for dhcpd (ISC DHCPD 2.0pl5).
>
> In frustration, I rolled back to a 2.2.19-based distribution (Slack 8.0)
> on the tftp server due to known issues with 2.4-series kernels and
> booting Indys.

The server needs:

CONFIG_FILTER=y in the kernel config for bootp support,
"echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_no_pmtu_disc" and
"echo '1024 32767' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_local_port_range"
for the Indy firmware.

Take care the access to tftp/bootp isn't blocked by firewalling/tcpwrappers,
and the hostname/network config in dhcpd.conf/bootptab fits the one
known to the server.

The Indy needs:

"unsetenv netaddr"

> Nada.  Same error message:
>
> 	>> bootp()/tftproot/tftpboot.img
> 	No server for /tftproot/tftpboot.img.
> 	Your netaddr environment variable may be set incorrectly, or
> 	the net may be too busy for a connection to be made.
> 	Unable to execute bootp()/tftproot/tftpboot.img
>
> This happens on both Indys, and with various permutations of the bootp()
> command (e.g., boot -f bootp()192.168.1.1:/tftproot/tftpboot.img).

If everything is ok, a simple "bootp():" is enough. If not, the
error message indicated the point of failure: If it got the filename,
tftpd failed (wrong absolute/relative path ?). Without the filename,
dhcpd failed (No CONFIG_FILTER ?).

> The
> dhcpd is ISC DHCPD 2.0pl5, and it appears to be working as expected.
> I've tried with netaddr set to a valid IP for the network the server is
> on, with netaddr unset, with DHCP both enabled and disabled and...
> Nothing.  Always the same error message.

If nothing of this helps, try running tcpdump on the server interface
and look where things go wrong (Should be: some bootp packets, some arp
packets, then many tftp packets).

Thiemo