Re: Debian on a Dec Alpha 3000?

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 08:55:05PM +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-30 12:40:21 +0100, Patrick Caulfield <patrick@debian.org>
> wrote in message <20030630114021.GG1235@tykepenguin.com>:
> > On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 11:03:02AM +0200, Robert Ribnitz wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I have the oppportunity to get a dec alpha 3000 system, with a
> > > turbochannel arch.
> > >

> > > I have seen that the 2100-type systems look supported, how difficult it
> > > will be to adapt Debian to the 3100?
> >
> > A fair amount of effort I think. I started it based on work at
>
> What exactly is missing? I don't have such a machine, but I'm collecting
> infos (http://www.lug-owl.de/~jbglaw/linux-ports/) for it.
>
> > http://www.phys.ufl.edu/~prescott/linux/alpha/dec3000-port-notes.html
> > and
> > http://www.cs.rutgers.edu/~armhold/linux/alpha-3000.html
> >
> > But didn't get any further than they did - at least not usefully.
>
> Even knowing about your unsuccessful tries is worth a lot. Please give
> us some more infos about the T-3000 models.

There's nothing I can really add to the contents of those two pages - if there
was I would have started my own. I got it past the clock initialisation by some
inglorious hack but it died on the next thing. Plus I lost the disk I had
the code on anyway :(

I ended up buying a pws433 off ebay instead. the 3000/300 still runs VMS though!

--

patrick